In the first ‘official’ episode we get a bit, well, philosophical. That’s not to say we don’t also cover the latest in electronic music making, including gear that caught our eyes, ideas that captivated our minds, and sound that stole our hearts.
In this episode we talk about:
- Contemporary composers, including Richard Barrett, Aaron Cassidy, Morton Subotnik, and more
- Andrew Huang’s approach to sound design, particularly the idea of conventional instruments being a preset (or plug-in), and sculpting unique sounds to make music.
- The release of (and how to pronounce) the Make Noise 0-Control. We also drift into a discussion on what YouTube channels made great quality reviews of the 0-Control: HAINBACH, Loopop, among others.
- Zizek’s The Sublime Object of Ideology – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sublime_Object_of_Ideology
- Lacan’s Three Orders – https://nosubject.com/Order
- Gabrielle de la Puente’s response to a workshop with Thomas Hirschhorn, in The White Pube
- and, The energy and/or intent of music, and how it relates to our practice as composers, improvisers, and performers
The Filtered Noise Podcast will regularly discuss approaches to making music, what outside influences have shaped the music of our hosts and guest(s), and give some shout-outs to artists who have done (or are doing) cool things – see ‘Music We Talk About’ below.
<<MUSIC WE TALK ABOUT>>
Tristram Williams/Aaron Cassidy – What then renders these forces visible is a strange smile and the score sample
no compliments – https://nocompliments.bandcamp.com/
clipping. – https://clppng.bandcamp.com/
Bribery – https://bribery.bandcamp.com/
Eels – https://www.eelstheband.com/
Fiona Apple – https://open.spotify.com/album/0fO1KemWL2uCCQmM22iKlj
Antagonist A.D. – https://antagonistad.bandcamp.com/
Morton Subotnik – https://karlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/silver-apples-of-the-moon
Steve Lehmann – https://stevelehman.bandcamp.com/album/s-l-b-yone
<<GEAR WE TALK ABOUT>>
Make Noise 0-Control
Make Noise 0-Coast