In this episode of Filtered Noise, we talk to our inaugural guest, Allison Wright, aka – No Compliments. For regular listeners, you’ll be familiar with our fandom of No Compliments debut EP.
Allison Wright (1993, AUS) is a composer, arranger, producer, sound designer and trumpet player living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Since finishing her performance studies at the Australian National Academy of Music, Allison enjoys a diverse career as a collaborative musician and freelance trumpet player, performing with major orchestras and production companies as well as working as a composer, arranger, producer and sound artist on independent creative projects and commissions. Allison is has been a fellow of many national and international festivals and residencies, notably the Bang on a Can Summer Festival (2016), Eighth Blackbird’s Creative Lab (2018) and Melbourne Electronic Sound Studio’s (MESS) Professional Development Course 2018.
In this episode, we talk to Allison about:
- DAW Workflow
- The creative process, from the perspective of a cla**ically-trained musician and an electronic music-maker
- The influences on Allison’s music
- Chaos Hands; a collaborative, improvising ensemble with drummer Nicole Patrick and visual artist/filmmaker Xuan.
- Coding live multi-media for a planned international tour with Bec Plexus
- Adapting to the current pandemic situation in the creative industries; including planning and hosting a 24-hour Livestream Release Party.
- Plenty more…
The Filtered Noise Podcast will regularly discuss approaches to making music, what outside influences have shaped the music of our hosts and guest(s), and give some shout-outs to artists who have done (or are doing) cool things – see ‘Music We Talk About’ below.
We love talking about music. Follow us on instagram @filterednoisecast and you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org. We also have a Ko-Fi account which you can donate to, if you feel like we’re doing a good job – https://ko-fi.com/filterednoise. Music in the intro and outro is by Bribery : https://bribery.bandcamp.com/
<<<MUSIC WE TALK ABOUT>>>
Some links to Allison’s work:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7GcClJ23to Chaos Hands debut gig (on YouTube)
- https://nocompliments.bandcamp.com/ No Compliments on Bandcamp
- https://www.youtube.com/c/nocompliments No Compliments on YouTube
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zvA_0b91A&t=771s on David Bruce’s composition challenge!
Oneohtrix Point Never – https://oneohtrixpointnever1.bandcamp.com/
Jenny Hval – https://jennyhval.bandcamp.com/
Yellow Magic Orchestra – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5jMLJQ9f4
Haruomi Hosono – https://lightintheattic.net/artists/2475-haruomi-hosono
Miharu Koshi – Parallelisme
<<<GEAR WE TALK ABOUT>>>
Check out MESS – https://mess.foundation/
Arturia Analogue Lab VST
Buchla Music Easel